In 1901, Clinton and Mary Potter opened the doors of Potter Bible College in memory of their son, Eldon.
James A. Harding, president of Nashville Bible School (now David Lipscomb University) became the administrator and the college flourished under his direction. Upon his retirement 11 years later, the school struggled and closed.
In 1914, the Potters met with the trustees and established Potter Orphan Home and School on the grounds of the Bible College. Immediately upon its establishment, 12 orphans who were being cared for by a church in Louisville, Kentucky were transferred to Potter. Thus, the legacy of providing a loving, Christian home to numerous children began.
Though no longer called Potter Orphan Home and School, children are cared for today on the very same property. Through the years, the facilities and the child care programs have changed, but one thing remains the same. Potter is still providing a Christian home to children in need.
Following a series of devastating fires in the early 1940s, a large dormitory building was built in 1945. This "main building" housed orphaned children until the mid 1960s when it became clear a more home-like environment was needed. Since then, children in our residential program have been cared for in "cottages" by loving house parents in a more family-oriented setting.
The main dormitory building has been converted into apartments for the families in our single parent ministry, as well as offices for Christian counseling, foster care, and adoption.